Thursday, May 12, 2011

In 20 years, what will computers look like?

There's an interesting infographic on the Mashable blog today showing what computers may look like in 20+ years. It's looking pretty bleak for computers, or at least what we know of computers today.

Here's a link to the Mashable post so you can check it out yourself.

What I find fascinating is the idea of biological computing. What has long been a science fiction staple, the idea that computing will work with our DNA, seems like it may be coming true. I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around the idea, but according to the infographic scientists already have the basic building blocks of DNA computers.

I struggle with not knowing what technology will look like in the future when I think about where libraries will go with it. I love the idea of kiosks in libraries and throughout towns where people will hook up whatever object they have to download library resources, but is that only 5 years off and not 15?

Where is computing going? What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment