Tuesday, February 15, 2011

What's your idea?

A few weeks ago, I saw this post come across the Mental Floss blog. The third question asks the reader:

If you were put in charge of your local library and asked to come up with one weekly program that would generate positive buzz in the community, what would your program be called?

I was immediately intrigued and wondered what kind of neat ideas readers would present. Would they be totally off-the-wall or fall more into the category of "normal library programming?" The majority of suggestions were book-oriented, but there were a few ideas that did not specifically involve books:
  • Local Restaurant Coupon of the Week
  • "Word police" to enforce proper grammar
  • Sleepovers
Do you know of any unique library programming in your community? How might library programming evolve into the future? Will libraries find ways to balance innovation in programming, while still providing the literary events that users expect? If so, how?

1 comment:

  1. I don't know about in MN (I rarely use the public library 'cause I ILL everything through work) but in my little retirement community/hometown on the West Coast, the public library is the main venue for worldly culture. My hometown is super isolated from big cities and is very homogeneous, so the library hosts international movie nights + talks, armchair traveler book clubs + guest speakers, and themed gatherings (food from XXX, or history of XXX). These programs are well-attended and eye-opening. If I could brainstorm one that would get me into a public library...hmmm...how about "urban rooftop gardening--all you need to get started."

    ReplyDelete