Friday, March 4, 2011

Is library instruction short-sighted?

Or rather, is the way we (at least at my library) do library instruction short-sighted? I read an interesting article today called "Information is social: information literacy in context", and it really made me think. Although the importance of research beyond academia is something I have thought about in the past, the change in focus (or added component) is certainly not something we have achieved in any consistent way. I think that practical searching skills and research strategies for academic work are still things that library instruction programs in academic libraries need to include, but should this aspect of "real life" information literacy be included? There is no doubt about its importance. So where does it fit? Where and how can we add one more thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment